For Students

This page provides important information for Upward Scholars students and prospective students. 

Prospective Students

We provide support for adults who are working low-wage jobs and:

  • completed an ESL program at a local adult school (e.g., Sequoia Adult School, San Mateo Adult School) or tested out of the English proficiency exam, and are enrolled in ESL classes at a SMCCD campus (i.e., Cañada, College of San Mateo, Skyline); or

  • completed a High School Equivalency program at a local adult school (e.g., Sequoia Adult School, San Mateo Adult School) and are enrolled in classes at a SMCCD campus (i.e., Cañada, College of San Mateo, Skyline).

Qualifying students continue their education in community college, get higher-paying jobs and serve as role models and advocates for their children and our community.

SASS_For Students_ 800_72ppi-_MG_5646.jpg

Upward Scholars Applications for New and Returning Students for Summer and Fall Available in May 2019

We are no longer accepting applications for new and returning Upward Scholars students for Spring 2019. 

We will have applications for summer and fall 2019 available in early May.

Application to Request an Upward Scholars Tutor

If you’d like to work with an Upward Scholars tutor, complete the tutor request form. If you have questions about the tutoring program, contact Upward Scholars Coordinator, Tania Ventura,  at (650) 649-8883.  

Tutor Request Application for Spring

Food Voucher

You can get free lunches and dinners through the Upward Scholars Food Voucher Program at Cañada College. With this program, you will be able to purchase The Meal Deal. You can pick up your meals at the Bookstore and Pony Espresso (Coffee Kiosk next to building 13). The application to request a food voucher for May will be available soon.

ESL Conversation Club at Cañada College Spring 2019

Practice speaking English in a fun group. Drop in any time! Clubs are sponsored by Upward Scholars but all ESL students are welcome. 

When: Every Monday  at 11:00 a.m.
             Every Thursday at 11:00 a.m.

Where: Learning Center, room 9-251 C

Important Dates for Spring 2019

PDF Version

Word Version

FREE Beginning and Advanced Computer Class available now! 

You’re invited to attend a beginning and advanced computer class in Mountain View. 

Address: 2061 Landings Dr. Mountain View CA 94043

When: Classes are from February 02 to May 04 on Saturdays from 11:30 to 1:30

You don’t need to register to attend. Just go to the class and say you’re from Upward Scholars.

Upward Scholars Drop-in Hours for Spring 2019

Drop-in hours are held on Thursdays from 1:00 to 4:00 P.M. at Upward Scholars office, First Church, 1155 Broadway #130, Redwood City, CA.

If you need to make an appointment at a different time, please call Tania Ventura, our coordinator, at (650) 649-8883.

Please note that drop-in appointments are on a first come first serve basis.

Where to get help

This chart shows you whom to contact if you have an Upward Scholars scholarship and need help choosing classes, finding a tutor, getting your laptop fixed, etc.

Clipper transit cards, food vouchers, Upward Scholars scholarships, adding or dropping a class, basic computer problems


Tania Ventura
Upward Scholars Coordinator
(650) 649-8883

Help with any questions about the program.


Linda Prieto,PhD
Executive Director
(650) 383-8449

Help choosing classes, writing resumes, applying for jobs, etc. 


Elizabeth Weal

Cañada College: Academic advice, financial aid, class registration for ESL students


Liliana Campos
Sequoia District Adult School

Career Navigator
(650) 306-8866 ext. 77935

Diana Espinosa
Cañada College
Retention Specialist  for students in Level 2 and Level 3 ESL classes
Program: (650) 306-3388
Text: (650) 260-5270

Melissa Martinez
Cañada College

Basic Skills Retention Specialist  for ESL students in Level 4 and 400, or ENG 827 and 847
(650) 306 3356

San Mateo College: Academic Advice, financial  aid, class registration for ESL and HSE studetns


Kelsey Harrison
San Mateo College

Transition Coordinator
(650) 378-7245

Skyline College: Academic advice, financial aid, class registration for ESL and HSE students


Stacy Nojima
Skyline College

Transition Coordinator
(650) 738-7106

Cañada College: EOPS (a scholarship for students taking 12 or more units)


Jose Romero
College Program Services Coordinator
(650) 306-3465

Broken laptops


Sue Kayton
(650) 853-1711

Internet for Low-Income Families

If you have children who participate in the free or reduced-cost school lunch program, you can receive the Internet in your home for about $10 a month. You can review the information in English or Spanish

Low-cost Computer Software for College Students

If you are a community college student, you can purchase software very cheaply from this Web site. Note that you need to use your school email address when you make the purchase.

Scholarship for Undocumented Students

Check out Dreamers Roadmap for a list of scholarship for undocumented students. It’s also an app. 

Paying for a Four-Year College 

This calculator will help undocumented students determine if they can receive in-state tuition if they transfer to a four-year college. 

Food Assistance Available

If you’re low-income and live in San Mateo County, you can receive free food.  Call Food Connection at 1-800-984-3663, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, to learn about available food resources (pick up, delivery, meals, etc.).